 Robotics / 21955
Re: IR Tower and Hyperthreading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:51:55 GMT

Mike Thorn wrote:

> At 10:41 AM 1/6/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Here is what LEGO should be doing right now:
>>
>> 1)  Putting something up on their website that acknowledges there is a
>> problem, that they are working on it, and a planned target date for
>> resolution.
>

> The problem is that they never promised to support XP. The only thing
listed is 98/ME. In fact, they explicitly say 2K and NT are _not_ supported.

>> In the meantime, those of you having problems could try disabling
>> Hyperthreading in the BIOS, which should effectively disable it in
>> Windows XP.
>

> Everywhere this is mentioned, someone says you have to reinstall
windows after doing this...is that true?

> Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated!
>
> ~Mike

Hi,
I had the same problem with an XP on a <3GHz >2GHz machine.
The single sane sollution I had was to use the serial IR Tower from
my Mindstorms 1.0. The bet I took was the IR protocol between the
IR Tower and the Brick didn't change. And it seems that it didn't.
It is slower (is a serial connection) and one has to have the previous
Mindstorms 1.0 version, but it is an option.

BTW: I'm a Linux guy and I'd prefer to work with it on my favorite platform.
Is there a place I can get tools to do it (compilers, drivers for the IR
interface
or whatever else is needed)?

Jean