 Robotics / 2182
Re: binutils problem fixed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 02:16:27 GMT

John A. Tamplin <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Many thanks to those of you that sent a compiled copy of kmain, I was
able to determine where the error was.  If you are trying to run binutils
on a machine that has char as an unsigned type, you will have the same
problem.  I remember at least one person on this list saying they had
problems with binutils on SGI, and I am sure it is the same problem.  The
fix is simple (relative to binutils-2.9.1):

gas/config/tc-h8300.c lines 924 and 1110
change (char) to (signed char)

I am the one (or one of them anyways) who had problems on SGI machines.

Your fix improved things but did not fix them completely.  The disassembler
was also broken, and was still broken after making your change.

You did inspire me, however.  Many compilers have a switch to make chars
either default signed or default unsigned.  An invocation of this switch
seems to have fixed everything.  Finally, I was able to disassemble, hack,
and recompile the standard firmware on my local machine.

Thank you for your fix.  I will try the same with gcc, then maybe I will be
able to use the machine on my desk as opposed to some remote machine where
I have a paltry 10 MB quota and have to use /tmp to compile tools.

-Kekoa