 Robotics / 2179
2178  |  2180
Subject:
Programming the SPIRIT.OCX from VB (random #s?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 01:38:53 GMT

I thought my original question was fairly clear, but I guess not!  I want to
program some "random" behaviors for my robot and download them into the RCX.
This being the case, I assume that I need to use the "random" register in the
RCX, as opposed to generating one inside VB.

Specifically, I want to program the robot to, for example, turn it's head
left and then right "X" times, where X = a random number between 1 and 5.
At other times, I'd like to tell the robot to go into "explore" mode for
anywhere from 10 to 250 seconds.

What is the best way to do this using SPIRIT.OCX commands?

Also, if anyone has any commented source code (for the Mindstorms RCX) I'd
love to see it!

Thanks for the replies.

-- John

Peter Hesketh wrote in message ...
In article <000e01be369d$acc1cce0$53b0acc1@fam.-van-dam>, B van Dam
<bvandam@westbrabant.net> writes
What is the best way to get a random number using VB?

If you really mean "How do I generate a random number within VB" then
click "Help" in VB and search for random.

If you mean "How can RCX code generate a random number" look at Kekoa's
Opcodes Reference and search for random.

If you mean "How can I convert a random number 1 to 32768 into a random
number 5 to 25 using VB", then use:

Random5to25 = 5 + 21 * int(( random1to32768 - 1 ) / 32768 )

If you mean something else, please pose your question in a less
ambiguous manner.
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 16