 Robotics / 21737
  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

Could someone explain to me technically why this sort of of problem with the rotation sensor occurs? I know how quadrature shaft encoders are _supposed_ to work, and I can't see why this sort of thing should happen in the first place. >> Mark (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) The way I understand it, it's really not the sensor's fault. The RCX and firmware together either can't or doesn't deal with the ambiguous voltage levels sometimes returned during two of the four transitions. If the RCX were fast enough that (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) They do work! But they are usually used with two quadrature outputs (hence the name), while on RCX only one wire is used and the 4 states are encoded as 4 voltages levels. (URL) (Image courtesy Michael Gasperi) The sequence (clockwise) is (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, FTX)