 Robotics / 2173
Re: Programming the RCX in VB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 00:39:40 GMT

John,
here is an example how to create random numbers in VB. In the example below
it will generate values between 1 and 6. The statement "Randomize" is
initializing the Random Generator. The function "Rnd" is then used to get
the random numbers.

Dim IntVal as Integer

Randomize                       'Initializes the random generator using the
timer
IntVal = Int((6 * Rnd) + 1)  ' Generate random value between 1 and 6.

To produce random integers in a given range, use this formula:
Int((upperbound - lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + lowerbound). So in your example it
has to look like:

IntVal = Int((25 - 5 + 1) * Rnd + 5)

I hope that helps.

Juergen

JohnC wrote in message ...
I'm starting on the program for my Mindstorms robot and I had a question.
What is the best way to get a random number using VB?  At first glance I • can
find a register that appears to generate a random number between 1 and • 32768,
but how do I limit this range?  How do I [easily] get a random number • between,
say, 5 and 25?

Also, has anyone posted VB source code (with comments) either here or on a
website somewhere?  That would be a big help to those of us who are just
getting started...

Thanks!

-- John