 Robotics / 21657
Re: Are there GOTO statements in NQC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:45:43 GMT

Rob Limbaugh wrote:
> I find that GOTO is a very handy way to bypass code to test some
> alternate code in high-level languages.

Nope - that's why we have #ifdef/#endif

> It is also a command that is
> easy to match to a machine language code of various processor types.

Not on a modern CPU where changing the flow of control disrupts instruction
caching.

> In writing batch scripts on Windows platforms, GOTO becomes essential
> because of the way certain commands are processed.

Well - I wouldn't count batch scripting as programming...But if you use a decent
batch scripting language like 'bash' under Linux (also works under Windows)
then it has all of the standard C flow control constructs and 'goto' is not
needed.

> Of course, the last major programming I ever did was almost 20 years ago
> when line numbers still had to be entered for programs in BASIC and the
> equivalent for "GOTO" in ML was "JMP".  Back then, it some programs
> would execute faster if simple commands were used.

Yep - BASIC programming was probably the last time I used a GOTO.

Fortunately, even BASIC programmers now have VisualBasic which can
be programmed quite effectively without GOTO's.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net