 Robotics / 21145
Re: 'Upgrading' VC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:10:18 GMT

I'll see--right now I'm busy programming a VB program similar to
WebBrick with the Phantom DLL as to support USB - I ordered the USB
tower and a few lightbricks from PITSCo and they were shipped
today....gotta hurry :P

Rob Limbaugh wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Thorn [mailto:buachaille@neo.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:51 PM
To: lego-robotics
Subject: Re: 'Upgrading' VC

SNIP

Unless, of course, you want the studded casing for the
camera! I think I
see now. You want the high-quality hardware inside the brick.

All of the Logitech Cam guts I've seen (primarily the eyeball
shaped cams) use a similar size square circuit board.  But, the
electret mics and power LEDs differ, I think.

I've taken the casing apart on my VC before, and as I recall there
really isn't much holding it together. You may have to get
solder-intensive, though, if you want to replace the board. I
don't know
how they connect. For that matter, the lense and all that may be
different, too, though in that case you could just replace it
with the
Pro4K lense.

Unless the same chip is being used, I doubt if the lenses are that
interchangeable.  Some of the Logitech cams have a larger picture
(i.e. - more pixels per frame), and therefore will probably have
different optical characteristics for the focus ring lenses.

I would favor building a new housing for a better quality cam rather
than rebuild the LEGO cam.  DAT's for a "custom" cam can always be made.

- Rob

--
-AK

--