 Robotics / 21143
Re: 'Upgrading' VC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:06:19 GMT

Yes, that's correct--I need the case.
And, if I do do this, I'll just replce the entire USB cord with the QCP
4k's.
-AK
Mike Thorn wrote:
Legoguy wrote:

I've had Vision Command for some time now, and it's worked great, after
I got the XP patch I was even happier. But now that I've started using
it as a robotic webcam that folks can control over the internet, I'm
starting to see how poor the picture quality is.
Before I do this myself, I want to know if anyone already has. I want to
dissasemble the VC cam, take out the board, and replace it with a
QuickCam Pro 4000 board.
My reasoning is that since the internals of the VC cam are actually a
Logitech QuickCam Web, their lowest model, and since their entire cam
line has nearly identically sized casings, the board from one might fit
in another. Right? So that's what's behind the inspiration to put a
QuickCam Pro 4000 into a VC Camera.
Has anyone taken apart a VC camera before, and maybe a QuickCam Pro 4000
too?

I have the Lego Cam, and while it sounds like a cool idea, I'm kind of
confused. Why would you want to put a different chipset in there instead
of just buying the whole Pro 4K webcam? You're going to have to get
ahold of the board somehow, and unless you can get one from a friend or
something, it sounds to me like it would be just as easy to buy the
'real' thing instead of modifying what you have.

*flash of inspiration*

Unless, of course, you want the studded casing for the camera! I think I
see now. You want the high-quality hardware inside the brick.

I've taken the casing apart on my VC before, and as I recall there
really isn't much holding it together. You may have to get
solder-intensive, though, if you want to replace the board. I don't know
how they connect. For that matter, the lense and all that may be
different, too, though in that case you could just replace it with the
Pro4K lense.