 Robotics / 21061
Re: Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:27:08 GMT

It sounds like your Apache server is already set up. Is that the case? If
not, that part should be straightforward. (I've done it on two Windows
machines).

If so, you'll need to:

- find out what port it's using (you already know this, most likely)
- find your "outside" IP address, and use a Web-based NSlookup to see if it
resolves to a consistent host name (it very well may)
- use the LinkSys setup to map a port from the outisde to the appropriate
port on the inside of your network.

An example makes this much clearer:

- I run IIS on my XP box, because I like ASP. Its Web server is running on
HTTP port 80 (typical, default HTTP port). I've also installed TomCat
running on Apache (but haven't used it in a while) on a differerent machine
on my LAN.
- my "outside" IP address (which my SMC Barricade Router will tell me) is
66.30.161.240; I can use ZoneEdit's NSLookup
(http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html) to find out that my hostname is
h00409500b47f.ne.client2.attbi.com . It turns out that my ISP uses a
permanent hostname system based upon the MAC address they have registered,
so even if my IP address changes, I can use that hostname to get to my
machine.)
- I've set up several forwarding ports to point to port 80 on my XP box.
Going to http://h00409500b47f.ne.client2.attbi.com:81/
takes one to the default page (not really used) on my Web server.
- I've also set up forwarding aliases using MyDomain. So, going to
http://blog.wilcoxfamily.net/ takes one to
http://h00409500b47f.ne.client2.attbi.com:81/blog/ - which connects to our
Web log.

That should take some of the mystery out of the process. Let me know where
I've missed anything.

--Doug Wilcox

Find out more about our Mexico 2003 Missions Trip at
http://mexico.wilcoxfamily.net/ Proceeds from books,
videos, and more from Amazon.com ordered via
http://books.wilcoxfamily.net/ or http://www.startrekmovie.com/
are now going to support the Children's Home project
in Constitución, Chihuahua, México.

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John
8:32.)
"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ.

Check out the Wilcox family at http://www.wilcoxfamily.net/

Find out what's cooking with Lego MindStorms at the Wilcox house at
http://robots.wilcoxfamily.net/

See how to build your own light saber at http://saber.wilcoxfamily.net/

30 George Street
Brockton, MA 02302-3635
508-584-6853 phone
508-932-0596 cell
http://www.wilcoxfamily.net
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783
AIM WebMeister Doug
Y! WebMeisterDoug
MSM: WebMeister Doug
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class