 Robotics / 21047
Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:14:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Depends on what you call 'recent' :-)

The DEC PDP-8 had 12-bit words with 6-bit bytes, if I recall correctly.
There were also computers with 36-bit words containing six 6-bit bytes in
one word (DEC 10/20?), or three 12-bit bytes.

The DataSaab D21 (that's a computer from the 1950-60 something) had 24-bit
words split into eight 3-bit bytes/nybbles/digits.

In the name of internationalization, a character is now 16 bits wide, so the
'byte' may still grow...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden

I just had to join in on this one  :)

I greatly enjoyed playing around with Intel's early 4004 PMOS microprocessor,
one of the very first I think. It was a 4 bit per entity (character?) device
which was primarily aimed at processing BCD, one digit at a time. After that,
numerous other 4 bit devices appeared, mainly as the "engine" in early
calculators. But Ah! it was a great day when Intel unveiled the 4040, a real
step up from the earlier 4004 :) Access to data RAM could be done in less that
12 instructions - you could do it in 7 !!

Then they invented 8 bit devices after which all the programming got almost too
easy ;) The Nat Semi SCAMP cut the memory access function to a mere 5
instructions.

But I digress, the original thread content regarding mechanical computing is
very interesting. I had tried this myself some while back and had serious
problems getting the "power" in. In order to sustain a continuous computation,
you have to find a way to feed energy into the system, especially when using
mechanical parts with the lack of precision common in Lego elements. My attempts
to couple a "clock" (shaft input from a motor attempting to complete things like
memory storage strokes), I had too much difficulty in getting different parts of
the assembly to work in accurate enough phase.

Maybe someone with more time and/or imagination might be able to come up with a
"clocked" ALU to memory/memory to ALU mechanical state transfer scheme.

JB

(showing his age with knowledge of 4 bit micros)