 Robotics / 2099
2098  |  2100
Subject:
Controlling RCX from DOS and Basic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:17:18 GMT

Having bought my Mindstorms, I discovered that when they say "Needs
Windows 95" they weren't kidding (I don't like 'C').  I didn't mind too
much, because I use W95 at work, but not at home as my home PC is only a
small 486 and doesn't have the muscle for W95.

I read the useful stuff on Kekoa's and Russell's web pages and decided
it shouldn't be too hard to program the RCX in MS QBasic.  I was stuck
for a while as QBasic does not allow the 8-plus-odd configuration, but
with the help of a web-search I found a workaround.

I have completed stage 1 in my list of goals, which is to write a QBasic
equivalent of Paul Haas's talkrcx.txt Perl script.

The program is available for viewing and download on my website at
http://www.phesk.demon.co.uk/lego/ if you would like to try it out.
Please feel free to add a link to this url from your own web sites; I
have included links back to the sources of my inspiration.
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 15