 Robotics / 20987
Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:23:53 GMT

Brian H. Nielsen wrote:

   The red #12 axle functions as a write-protect mechanism.  In the position
shown, the black axles are prevented from sliding and the byte is
write-protected.

Ah!  Very clever!  That way we can unlock the memory when it's in the "write"
mechanism and lock it when it's being read or moved around inside the machine.

That cleanly solves my 'friction' problem.

   The 4-bit byte is a function of #12 axles being the longest available, but
the design is extendable to link multiple bytes together into longer length
words.

The problem is that the spacing between the bits will need to be kept exactly
constant in order for the *serial* reading and writing of a byte to be do-able.

We talked a bit about this a couple of posts ago - but essentially, the machine
is proposed to be a 1 bit wide machine internally (at least inside the adder unit),
so the bits of one byte of RAM will need to be shuffled in front of the write
head one at a time.

However, maybe we can figure a way to unprotect each bit one at a time as it
enters the write mechanism...or better still, *AS IT IS BEING WRITTEN*.

That would eliminate your length restriction - and also resolve the problem of
the spacing because each bit would now be identical.

Perhaps, all we need is to have the 'write head' do something like rotate the
movable axles through 90 degrees as it moves them between the '1' and '0' positions,
rotating it back through 90 degrees when it's done.

   The molecular level RAM design included multiple bytes stacked up and a
method to select which one was being read/written, but it involves additional
structure containing flexible rods for which there is no suitable LEGO
counterpart.  I am working on alternate methods, but I am not hopeful at this
point in time.

But we can bolt them into a rigid array and simply move the entire stack of
bytes up and down to select which byte is being addressed - and left and right
to pick which bit out of that byte is to be read or written.

For program storage, it would probably be desirable to read out all eight (or
more) bits from each byte in parallel - but that's a much easier prospect.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net