 Robotics / 20861
Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:44:42 GMT

In message:  <HG8Dw0.LrD@lugnet.com>
             Mark Tarrabain <markt@lynx.SPAMBLOCK.net> writes:

Or am I totally off base assuming that negative air pressure is doable
with LEGO pneumatics?

Ah, the perennial question.

Yes, LEGO pneumatics can be used with below-ambient pressure.
Assuming you're doing this in your home vaguely near sea level,
this means that you can get what seems like somewhat less than
1 atmosphere of negative pressure, given care with seals and
good hoses that don't collapse.  This is in sharp contrast to
the rather more than 1 atmosphere of positive pressure far more
easily attained with the same equipment in slightly different
configuration.

BTW, totally off topic here... does anyone else find that their spouses
think that adults playing with LEGO is, well... a little strange?

Of course.  But then I just remind them of their own odd habits. ;-)

- Alex