 Robotics / 20606
Re: ....new robots and web site update.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:01:56 GMT

Hello Jim,

I have been away for a week on business and have only just got back to
Melbourne (Australia) tonight.

Your Rover looks the part doesn’t it. I like the relationship between the
wheels and the RXC on the last version you made. I think the RCX centered
tends to keep things a bit tidier. Have you tested how much clearance you
can get? NASA say their suspension can travel up to twice the wheel height!
I agree that the Motorcycle wheels are the way to go.

I have built one half of my Rover, well one side to test out the geometry of
the Rocker-Bogie set-up. I think I have fixed the powered hub/Caster/Wheel/
problem, but am waiting for some more turntables from Lego. I will send you
some LDraw pics directly once I have rendered them over the weekend  (I have
two proof of concept LDraw models of the wheel assemblies and both work well
when built with real Lego pieces)

Did you much testing/experimentation with the Rocker-Bogie geometry? The
concept of Rocker-Bogie suspension seems to allow for a lot of variation.
Your last implementation looks great.

Now you have to work on powering each wheel, then get the front and back
ones to pivot, then write a NQC program to control it all – Wow that’s a project

Well, now I have no excuse to finish my Rover - Other than spend time with
my family.

Cheers

Tom Beattie