 Robotics / 20387
20386  |  20388
Subject:
A Thing of Beauty
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:19:11 GMT

While at Assembly Canada, a medium-sized trade show in Toronto for assembly
automation, I spent almost 2 hours at STELRON's booth.  They're an American
manufacturer located in New Jersey who have specialized in cam-driven
assembly automation for over 40 years.  Instead of making the move into
servo controlled actuators, they've refined their art even more.

Here's a video clip I shot of some of their equipment, this is truly
inspirational stuff.

http://www.coasters2k.com/misc/Stelron.mpg

One thing which is really interesting is the pallet system - there's a
walking beam and locking beam underneeth, all the pallets are accurately
located with dowel pins under the bed.  Each "side" of the conveyor moves
during a 90 degree phase, so the entire thing shifts a bit like one of those
sliding puzzles (one side at a time, odd number of pallets with 1 gap in the
entire thing).  The edges on the pallets are filleted, and the motion of the
pallets is such that the next side starts sliding before the previous one is
even finished, tracing that contour of the edge of the pallet perfectly.

I have seen a lot of cam driven machinery but this was by far the most
elegantly running stuff I've seen yet.

STELRON's website is, of course, http://www.stelron.com .  There are several
videos showing off their machinery as well.

    Iain