 Robotics / 20367
Re: legway :only lego parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:01:41 GMT

Brian

3. He mounted his RCX and weight high. Someone explain to me how this • helps.
It's counter-intuitive to me. Does the increased angular momentum make it • less
likely to fall once it's balanced ("an object at rest tends to stay at • rest")?
But doesn't this also make it harder to correct once it has started • falling
("an object in motion tends to stay in motion")?

The higher angular momentum (or, rather, moment of intertia) means that it
reacts more slowly so the processor and motors have more time time to do
their job. I suspect that it's the motor that is the limiting factor - the
rotor must have high moment of intertia.

Try balancing a broom-handle on your finger: easy.

Now try a pencil: impossible. Your own processor and muscles can't react
that fast. Once you see the pencil falling over, you nervous system takes
at least 100mS to start your finger moving.

Peter