 Robotics / 20250
RE: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:12:19 GMT

Andy

Each device has to have a unique friendly name
Each program must identify the exact device it is to work with,
But I decide to have twins and
I've used up motors motor1..motor5 and I want to
build it on motor6-10.  The program linkage will
need to be redone.

That's a very good point that I hadn't considered. But it's easily solved.

The whole PC knows id 23948756 as "Motor1". But within a particular
program, you're allowed (but not forced) to use aliases. So within your
program you say for your first robot that "Left Elbow" is equivalent to
"Motor1" but in your second robot, "Left Elbow" is equivalent to "Motor6".
I imagine you'd build the first robot using the name "Motor1" and then,
when you built the second robot you'd realise your error and set up an
alias table (which is a separate file from the program) to say "Motor1" is
aliased to "Motor6".

I think that's the way database programmers do it. The same database
program can be applied to different databases by changing the alias table.

you have to have a location-aware system.

That too has problems. In my Giraffe robot, how do I connect the motors?
The "LeftHip", "LeftKnee", "LeftAnkle" motors are all daisy-chained
together in that order. But then I decide to add a tail. I don't want to
change the program I've written so far so I'm forced to add the "Tail"
motor after the "LeftAnkle" motor and run a wire all the way back up the
leg. I can't just add "Tail" to the wire near the "Hip".

Peter