 Robotics / 20218
Re: Robot Arm Help - Gearing Techniques - FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:19:24 GMT

Eric

What is the relative efficiency of the different gear trains? Lego gears
The inherent gear reduction of the
worm gear is pretty good. I use the worm gear as a "work device" or
"business drive".....using it together with other gears to compliment the
overall gear train. So I'm really not sure how to answer your question.

I was querying the efficiency of, for instance, a worm and a 40T (i.e. a
40:1 reduction) compared with the efficiency of a set of pinions to give
the same reduction.

Efficiency is power-out divided by power-in. A Lego worm drive is less than
50% efficient. That's why, no matter how hard you turn the 40t pinion, you
cannot get the worm to turn. A series of pinions (providing a similat 40:1
reduction) may have an efficiency greater than 50% - so you can turn the
output shaft.

Of course, efficiency varies with load.

Peter