 Robotics / 19948
Re: A Generic Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:49:50 GMT

Rob Limbaugh wrote:

> So, the questions (to me) become:
> 1)  Does a cordless phone transceiver pair have the ability
       to handle the data rate of a USB device?

The most bandwidth you can get out of a regular analog telephone line is 56Kbaud.
*PROBABLY* you'll do no better than that with a cordless phone. There is no reason
for them to overdesign the radio system to be better than the telephone network - so
we can *GUESS* that it'll do no better than 56Kbaud.

According to www.usb.org, 900kb/s is the peak rate.  But most
devices are designed to use only 30 to 40% of that.  However, it's
way more data than you can get down a phone line.

So, unless the cordless phone electronics are *WAY* over-designed,
I don't think it's gonna work.

> 2)  If answer above is yes, then is it possible to create a wireless USB
>    interface using a 2.4GHz transceiver pair from a cordless phone?

I don't think so.

> Then again, why not buy a wireless TCP/IP survellience camera and
> wireless microphone and use TCP/IP through IR to the RCX?

Yes - or (as I suggested a day or two ago) get the teeny-tiny colour
camera from www.thinkgeek.com for $120 which broadcasts an FM NTSC
television signal.  You can pick that up using a cheap TV card for
your PC and frame grab the results.  The camera is *tiny* and runs
on a single 9 volt battery.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net