 Robotics / 19881
Re: Air transportation of RCXs etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:53:57 GMT

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of electronic equipment being
damaged by airport X-rays in carry-on or checked baggage?

Is it just an urban myth?

My understanding is that although individual X-ray photons have high
energy, so few are used (by X-rays machines for carry-on baggage) that they
don't significantly affect components. I used to worry about UV-EPROMS
being erased but it's never happened to me or anyone I know.

Checked baggage is dosed with more (and perhaps shorter wavelength) X-rays
and so is more likely to be damaged.

Peter