 Robotics / 1954
Re: legOS and alternate operating systems [now off topic]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 05:02:30 GMT

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 MwalimuB@aol.com wrote:

Actually, how big the executable is depends on the compiler.  I don't do C,
but, in other compilers this is the case.  For instance, Turbo BASIC would
produce a 47Kb executable of "hello world" because it links a library of
subroutines that for the most part won't be used.  ASIC, another BASIC
compiler, writes the same program in less than 100 bytes - basically the
string "hello world <CRLF>" and a BIOS call.

That is partly the compiler and partly the linker and partly the idiot
that put it togeter.  Personally, I would be leary of generating a direct
BIOS call in the generated code, but then I would avoid BASIC anyway.  Even
putting the actual display code in a library, if it is done properly you only
link in that one object module which may be a few K if it does memory mapped
display handling itself.

My point has been that it seems that it takes an awful lot of computer
resource to program an 8 bit microcomputer.  I was just wondering if there was
a reason for this.  It appears that the reason is the overhead needed for the
overblown operating systems on our newer computers.

Most embedded development systems have a very minimal development
library, if they have any at all.  For example, legOS doesn't depend on *any*
external routines and thus is quite small.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801