 Robotics / 1937
RE: legOS and alternate operating systems [now off topic]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:40:39 GMT

Actually, this does concern Legos programming.  There is only so much
memory in the RCX, so you have to program very efficiently.  You have to be
able to squeeze a program in there.

What I meant in my previous post is, when you linked in a "traditional"
library it only linked the routines you actually used, not the entire
library.  But with object oriented you link in the entire class, even if
you only use one or two methods.  Plus you have to link in all the classes
that the class you are using is inherited from.  That can be a great deal
of overhead.  The typical "Hello world" program for Windows using C is only
a couple kilobytes, about the same as a DOS version.  If you write it in
C++ (worse yet, with Windows wrapping classes such as Microsoft Foundation
Classes), your program will start with at least 100k or more of size.

Sorry this is drifting from RCX/Cybermaster programming.