 Robotics / 19364
Re: Problem with auto-steering mechanism.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:07:47 GMT

Steve

The two wheels on the bogey are on a solid axle.
...well...I used a single wheel.

Hmmm. If it's a single wheel then why whould it prefer a straight line?

Why did you abandon two wheels?

It seems to me that toy makers must have figured out something we don't
know because their toy seem to work well on any surface - and they can't
be too picky about manufacturing tolerances either.

I bet their drive-trains are a lot more efficient. Frictional losses in
Lego gears and axles are high.

I've never seen one with treaded or fat tyres on the bogey. Maybe that's
significant.

you'd
like the body to automatically straighten out so the robot follows
along in the new direction of the front wheel instead of spinning
around in a circle and hitting the obstacle again.

Surely that will happen if the bogey likes to go straight? Which is where
two wheels help.

If the drive wheel is out in front of the turntable, It makes the
body of the robot move sideways when the turntable spins.

I don't have a toy like that to experiment with. Could the drive wheel be
behind the turntable (i.e. change the drive direction)?

I've found another robot in my son's toy box:

        bogey wheel dia                 17mm
        bogey wheel axle len    24mm
        bogey axle gear teeth   10
        steering ahft crown gear teeth  17
        bogey to rear axle              42mm
        rear axle len           60mm
        rear axle not solid

so the bogey wheels are geared UP from the steering axle! Clearly the
"Mystery Bump and Go Action" contains more mysteries than I had imagined.

Peter