 Robotics / 19306
RE: Another update for WIRRL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:01:11 GMT

Just in case people are a bit confused by the schematic, the circuit would be
needed for each device that will participate in an RF bridge.

I abandoned the idea of using two different frequencies because:

1)  As soon as you attempt communication between more than two devices, one
device would have to be a proxy messenger.

2)  Using two different RF frequencies doesn't solve the IR-reflection-feedback
problem that would exist.

A single frequency solves #1 (BTW, the current IR communication is single
frequency:  38kHz).  Using logic between the IR side and the RF side solves
direction switching and #2 by disabling the appropriate data path.

One solution could involve using a programmable logic device with 4 I/0 lines
(at least two in and two out).  If data comes in from the RFRX first, then
ignore any incoming data on IRRX until ~1.67us after incoming RFRX data ceases.
If data comes in from the IRRX first, then ignore any incoming data on RFRX
until ~1.67us after incoming IRRX data ceases.  With the right PLD, the I/O line
used for IR-out could be pulsed at 38kHz without an external oscillator circuit.
Even in this case, the one RF frequency could be used.

Another option would be to modify the "Hardwired RCX" solution Peter Balch came
up with (http://www.abs-robotics.com/other/hardware.htm).  There are arrows in
the diagram indicating data direction.  What you could gain by using different
RF frequencies is the ability to do full-duplex communication (which may require
customized firmware and/or PC software to unlock that ability).

Perhaps I should add a "pros and cons" section to the page for the various
ideas...  The two ideas listed above have several other design issues to
consider beyond what is mentioned here.

I don't know much about electronics, either.  Part of the reason for pursuing
this endeavor is because I'm getting bored with "Connect red wire from J5 to
spring 34".  So, like you, I would hope that if I'm making a wrong turn, someone
would point it out to me.

- Rob