 Robotics / 19094
    Following the Line Follower —Soh Chio Siong
   Hi, people I have carried out an investigation into line following, a task that all respectable bots are expected to be able to do. Diagrams often show the idealized zigzag path that the robot is supposed to take when following a line. However, I (...) (22 years ago, 26-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Following the Line Follower —Steve Hassenplug
   Very interesting (and good) work. It may be useful for you to post the program used, because (as you said) it can make a difference in the results. However, I have to disagree with part of the conclusion: "A line follower using a single light sensor (...) (22 years ago, 26-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Following the Line Follower —Soh Chio Siong
   (...) Thanks. I couldn't have done it without those ubiquitous felt pens. (...) The bots used fairly standard programs (written in ROBOLAB). For the single light sensor bot: turn right when it sees bright; turn left when it sees dark. For the bot (...) (22 years ago, 27-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Following the Line Follower —Benton Jackson
   (...) You can improve the single sensor program considerably by having it go straight when it sees an intermediate value, which is what it would see when it's right on the edge. So, you have two cutoffs, LOW and HIGH. If light value is less than (...) (22 years ago, 27-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Following the Line Follower —Steve Baker
   It might be worth trying to increase the area that the light sensor is seeing by putting some kind of a lens in front of it. If the sensor could see (say) a roughly circular region 3 centimeters across then numbers you'd read between the 'white' and (...) (22 years ago, 27-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)