 Robotics / 19050
Re: Voltage Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:31:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> writes:
I presume you're using a 12V lead-acid or NiCd battery. As the battery
discharges, the output voltage drops, slowly at first but then faster whe=
it gets close to being empty. By the time it reaches, say, 10V, it's time=

to recharge it. So when you're monitoring batteries, you only bother with=

the "top" few volts. The advantage of the "offset" is that you can apply
the full range of the RCX input sensitivity to these "top" few volts and =
so
get better resolution. =

Thanks Peter,

Yes, it was brought to my attention that the useful portion of a 12V battery
is at the top end of the voltage range. I don't think I thought about it to
be honest - I guess the learning curve just keeps pointing up at this stage.
(Horst pointed out the increased resolution issue in a previous email)

Thanks for suggestions about the zener diode's. I guess there are many ways
to reach similar results.

Cheers
Tom Beattie