 Robotics / 1895
Re: sensor input mux calculations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 02:31:51 GMT

  Sinse it has been real quite at work, I did some designing and came up
with what I
think would be a solution. Using Sensor ports A & B, these could be tied
to sense the channel select lines of a Analog Multiplexer. The C port
would be connected to the output of the mux.
  Thus with three inputs per port A & B, this would give upto 36
channels. With four inputs per port A & B, this would give upto 64
channels. Even lowering this down to only port A, you would have 16
channels for 4 inputs or 9 channels for 3 nputs. Each Analog Input to
the MUX would have a OP-AMP buffer. This way you could have any
combination of touch,light,temp, and rotational sensors. More than I
would think anyone could ever use.
  The counter that drives the MUX could be toggled using the way the
light sensor activates the LED. By writing a task to toggle thru each
channel, each input could be sampled and stored in a varible for other
tasks to use.
  More likely a 12 or 16 channel MUX should supply enough Inputs to
satisfy any project.

John A. Donaldson

MwalimuB@aol.com wrote:

I'm not talking about using the touch switches.  I would make my own switches
- probably whiskers - but who knows.  The advantage of A/D input is that
instead of having two possible states, you have, in this case 1024.  Using
that fact you can make more than one input per port.  It just take some
ingenuity.  That, I guess, is the point of LEGO MINDSTORMS.

chris