 Robotics / 18562
Re: New and question about joysticks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:17:52 GMT

Hi Catherine,

You can use a digital joystick connected to the parallel port and use
the Java Communications API to access it from Java.

hardware info:
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/joystick/

sample Java program that uses a joystick:
http://www.geocities.com/Juanga69/parport/Joystick.java

-dario

Catherine Turner wrote:

Hello,

I'm completely new to Mindstorms and planning to construct/program that is
"wheelchair-like".  I'm hoping to control it with a joystick from the PC,
and program it in java.

I wondered if a) is this possible to communicate with the joystick via java?
And b) Is there a particular kind of joystick I should use?

I'd appreciate any help,

Catherine