 Robotics / 18420
Re: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:56:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Laszlo Meszaros (ETH) wrote:
Hey, guys. LEGO is basically a toy for children, even if
ACCIDENTALLY we serious adults can make rather complex models
with Technic elements, even more complex ones with Mindstorms.
You are disappointed because you were expecting something that
is designed for your specific wishes.

No.  The thing that makes Basic Lego a good toy for children is it's
modularity.  It's an open ended toy that they'll never reach the
end of exploring. That's also true (although to a lesser extent)
with the Mindstorms sets - but with this new range, the whole
electronics package comes in one 'lump' - so your child's scope for
inventing new things is horribly restricted.  That makes it a vastly
inferior toy compared to what it could have been.

(I'm quite pessimistic -- I'm afraid Mindstroms was not a big
success for TLC and they are trying to widen the market with
such systems like Spybotics as a last chance. This pessimism
leads much further -- the market prefers stupid customers etc
that does not fit into the topic.)

I think that's the problem - targetting the product at the lowest
common denominator.

I'd *so* much like to have seen something yet more modular than
even Mindstorms.  This is a retrograde step.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net

Whatever happened and what may suck--I just ordered a Gigamesh!  I also
dropped too much money and ordered the 8475.  After a quick build of the
8475, I'm gonna try to incorporate it into the 8466.

And I'm looking forward to it just to see what's up with Gigamesh.  TLC
really hasn't disappointed me yet on, well, anything.  There is a scale,
tho--the RCX is the finest achievement of TLC (in the Technic/'bot field)
and the DDK was the lamest thus far, but even that--picking up an R2 for 30
bucks at Future Shop, and getting all those pieces--you can't go wrong!

So, whatever, TLC got my money anyway ;)

I'm actually looking forward to building more Technic/robot models now.

Dave K