 Robotics / 18399
RE: LEGO Spybotics & LEGO Direct/Shop
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:53:46 GMT

-----Original Message-----> Of John Hansen
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 12:59 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: LEGO Spybotics & LEGO Direct/Shop

for LEGO about the MindScript and LASM support I recently added
to BricxCC I was told that the spybotic unit would be a
programmable brick.

That's something I was expecting while reading "all" what I could find on
the web about it (there's a site with a light review of pre-release versions
of the sets).

When they talk about connecting the Infrared-RC to the PC (there's a photo
of the Ir-RemoteController and the PC cable on LEGO Shop) and "sending the
spybotics unit on it's mission..." we should expect some degree of
processing on the unit.

That's pretty much all I know, but I have high hopes that in
short order I will be able to add support in BricxCC for
programming the spybotic bricks.

And possibly Dave Baum could also sort out some kind of NQC support for it
too :)

I have high hopes, but at $60 they may not be terribly capable.

Well, I'm expecting something below or along the lines of the Scout unit
and, let's hope, surely well above the MicroScout/Manas processing
capabilities.

I see the Spybotics unit as a cross between a Scout interior and a
MicroScout/Manas exterior. Let's see how true this is theory is.

It's sad the way LEGO is going, rejecting the modular philosophy (isolated
cpu unit from sensors and motors like the RCX) and going into the
all-embedded-into-cpu-unit philosophy (like MicroScout, Manas and now
Spybotics)

...maybe that's the only way they know to lower the final price, I dunno :(

mc.