 Robotics / 18375
RE: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:34:47 GMT

Somewhere on the net I saw instructions on how to convert the serial
tower to a USB device by opening it up and soldering in some pieces from
Radio shack.  I looked around a little, but couldn't find the page.
Perhaps someone knows the URL or has better luck searching

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Limbaugh [mailto:rlimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 12:08 PM
To: Mauro Vianna; lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: IR Tower and USB-Serial adapter

Mauro,

PCMCIA serial port cards are available (just search the net for them).
Here is one such card that has two serial ports:
http://www.tronlink.com/serialio.htm

Since those cards aren't too cheap but old 14.4/28.8kbps PCMCIA modems
are, perhaps making your own will suffice:
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/diyserial.html

The particular rs232 driver chip that was used is a Maxim 241.  For
those that don't know, Maxim (http://www.maxim-ic.com) will send you
samples of many of their components for free (the maxim241 chip is one
of them).

Hope this helps!
Rob