 Robotics / 18350
Re: Gutting an optical mouse - Part I
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:29:12 GMT

5)  I removed the rotational sensor because it appeared to be a 360 degree
potentiometer.  It wasn't... it's an encoder.  It has 24 detents.  There are
3 pins.  Looking from the side where the scroll wheel is inserted, there are
3 pins:  1 (left), 2 (center), and 3 (right).  +V is hooked to pin 2.  Bits
0 and 1 are pins 1 and 3, respectively.

Each detent position is either 00 or 11.  So, starting from a 00 position,
the next detent would be 11, the next 00, and so on.  The half-step between
detents alternates a pattern as well:  00 and 01.  Starting from a 00
detented position and turning gives the following output patterns:

          Clockwise
Detent?     Bit 0     Bit 1
    Y             0           0
    N             0           0
    Y             1           1
    N             0           1
(pattern repeats 11 more times)

It appears to me there is a slight mistake here.  According to this, there is no way to distinguish between the first row and the second.  I assume the second should be 10, so it would go 00 10 11 01.

Steve