 Robotics / 17997
RE: super cheap tilt sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:06:30 GMT

For some reason, I didn't consider "centered" as a valid position... error on my
part (big time).

However, if the weight were spinning constantly, perhaps "center" and "tilt"
could be determined...

If the speed is constant over a full revolution, then the base must be centered
(or close to it).  Where the change in speed of the rotation occurs is where
high/low points could be calculated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke Wenke [mailto:lwenke@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 11:25 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: super cheap tilt sensor?

I had to copy and paste that into notepad to get it to display properly.
I see what you mean now... though it is only useful when there is a tilt -
it wouldn't be able to detect if something is centered.

"Rob Limbaugh" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
What I attempted to describe was a single-sensor solution.  Hopefully this
ASCII drawings below will help clarify my thoughts...

Viewed from above
-----------------
                         ____
                 _      |    |]
                | |     |    |]
Wheel  or  -->  | |=======O  |]   <--- rotation
  weight        |_|     |____|]        sensor

Viewed from side
----------------

                 _
                | |        _
Wheel or -->    | |=======| |
Weight         |_|      _|_|_
                        |     |]   <-- rotation
                        |_____|]       sensor

Consider a circle with the 16 positions determined:

                     0
                ...     ...
              ..           ..
        12  .        o        . 4

                     8

Depending how that circle is tilted, gravity will pull the wheel like a
compass needle giving you two axis off one sensor.