 Robotics / 17926
17925  |  17927
Subject:
Part modifications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 03:52:53 GMT

Well, this is probably off-topic for this forum, but I couldn't really find
a suitable one and it *does* involve Mindstorms parts, sort of. ;)

The one piece that seems not to be available but always in need for me is a
part with a short axle on one end and an axle connector (stop bush) on the
other.  In this case, severing a poor Technic axle pin and joining the axle
part to the severed stop bush end of a Technic long pin with stop bush.
This would allow me to extend a motor axle just enough under conditions
where a simple axle joiner is way too long and not reasonable for the build
and the motor is 'pinned' to its position by design and function
requirements (I don't intend on disassembling and redesigning a highly
complex, perfect in all other respects, multi-system build just to
accomodate moving a motor.  It's already big and complex enough.  Took me
over two months of design, build, redesign, rebuild to get it this honed).

Cutting is a sinch.  Putting the parts together strongly is another story.
Lego obviously uses varying grades and types of plastics and these two
appear to be of slightly differing types.  Even if not, there is the
question of adhesive to use.  And that's why this message is here: how does
one permanently meld to parts together?

Not touching any parts until there is an experienced response...

Robert Templeton