 Robotics / 17857
Re: Finding "real" upgrade sets and flex axles on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 01:31:35 GMT

(Accidentally replied to the poster, rather than the group earlier.)

Yes, I understand what is being done... However, I already have 6 RIS
1.5 sets, complete with RCXs and tons of extra stuff, plus four 2.0
RCXs, so I didn't want the whole kit.  The upgrade parts were just fine
for me.

Since Lego isn't so convenient that way and buying the software and the
tower on BrinkLink separately would be over the eBay cost for
the "upgrade kit," eBay was more economical, even if the guy is making
a profit.

Lego should have offered something like this.

Liz B

I've seen those. I think what someone does is buys a mindstorms set, • and
breaks it up into these parts:

- 2.0 upgrade stuff (CD, IR tower, instructions, and test pad) ($20 • to $40)
- RCX  ($80 to $100)
- Non-electric stuff (the legos) ($50 to $75)

I haven't seen the motors and sensors, but as you can see he's already
breaking even!

In lugnet.robotics, liz@bookwyrmz.com writes:
I've bought the upgrade software from Lego (5 copies in fact @ $20 • plus
shipping a pop) and I've bought "upgrade kits" or "upgrade sets" on
eBay for around $40, plus shipping.  These "sets" are not that • common,
but not rare, either, and include the software, IR Tower,
Constructopedia, and color test pad.  Just what you need.  (But, • sorry,
I'm not the one selling.)

In the same vein, I have bought ZSNAP kits with flex axles and 9-volt
motors for about $10 on eBay.  I looked and there are several out • there
now.

eBay is where I get most of my Lego parts. I've gotten Mindstorms • sets,
RCXs, gears, etc.  I've gotten stuff from the US, Canada, England, • and
Australia, and I've been more than happy with everything I've found.

eBay's been an invaluable tool for me.  I highly recommend it.

Liz B

----
God bless America!

----