 Robotics / 17825
17824  |  17826
Subject:
Space Shuttle - quite a model!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 00:42:55 GMT

Hi All:

I was lucky enough to get a mint sealed Space Shuttle kit (8480) on EBay
recently at a good price.  I must say, I am quite impressed by the clever
engineering incorporated in the model.  Particularly interesting is the
function gearshift mechanism that allows a single motor to perform different
tasks (open/close the bay doors, raise/lower the payload boom, rotate the
payload left/right, and turn the fiber-optic unit left/right).

The mechanical raise/lower/lock mechanism for the landing gear is also
clever.

I know these aren't directly related to robotics, but there may be ways to
incorporate these ideas into robotics designs.  Anyway, I had a lot of fun
building this - it's the most complex construction I've done yet - and I
wanted to share a little of the fun.

  -- Russ