 Robotics / 17810
Re: Lego sensor or Radar ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:14:35 GMT

I would add another question to Steve's valuable list.

Do you really want to do tracking? With one or two degrees of freedom,
ie; azimuth or azimuth and elevation.

IF that's what you're trying to do, then your sonar/radar sensor is going to
have to return enough information to know if the object is off center of the
tracking device "beam" and which way. You may find your RCX running out of
input ports quite quickly ...

And I, for one, will be really interested to know how you succeed in
obtaining this off center information :)

JB

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
"B. Shahian" wrote:

A student of mine is building a tracking system similar to a radar station tracking (and shooting missiles at) a moving target. He
is looking for a reasonable sensor to do this job. The sensor must determine where the moving target is and track it. Any
suggestions ?

First some questions that will make the replies from the list
more relevent:

* How fast does the target move?

* How big is the target?

* How far away is the target - typically?

* Can you attach things like lights or infra-red LED's to the target
or must you detect it purely passively?

* Can you choose the colour of the target and the background that it moves
against?  (eg: A white target with a black cloth draped behind it?)

* Can you use the full power of a PC - or must you do this with an RCX?

My first guess is that you'd probably do best with a Lego Camera...but a lot
depends on your answers to the questions above.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
      http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net