 Robotics / 1775
RE: PipeXplorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:12:32 GMT

Laurentino Martins [SMTP:lmartins@marktest.pt] wrote:

>> For a real life test I was thinking in making it climb my
chimney... After all it's Christmas, isn't it? *<||:-)
>> Anybody ever seen a similar project?

Not the same concept, but similar in vertical movement...

I made a 'spider bot' that operated with a pulley system and heavy-weight
fishing line (obviously not a lego-purist's solution). A works-sometimes,
doesn't-work-sometimes method of catapulting a grappling hook (made entirely
of legos, of course), then reeling it in, allowed it to choose locations to
climb.

I'm sure, with more work, I could've made it better, but the main problem
was its weight. It needed its wheels to be touching the surface it was
climbing to successfully scale a wall (the pulley/line itself wasn't enough
for it to suspend itself in air, and was probably seconds away from
stripping the motor). Also, I never addressed problems with detecting
whether the grappling-hook hit true.

All in all, it gave me a lot of future project ideas. Good luck with your
chimney-scaler.

-- Tom Pierce
-- tomp@citrix.removethisobviouspart.com