 Robotics / 17610
Re: Discontinuous motion.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 02:32:55 GMT

Robert Limbaugh wrote:

Have you tried using two wheels?

Mount one wheel on an arm so that the wheel itself does not rotate.  Use an
appropriate length arm for your situation and rotate it.  The wheel on the
arm will come in contact with the 2nd wheel and spin the shaft the 2nd wheel
is on.

Yes - that's essentially what I did when I said:

  * I attached a 24t gear to a 40t using a couple of black pegs through
    the holes around the edge of each wheel.  This made the teeth of the
    24t stick out a bit beyond the 40t's radius. Turning the 40t by it's
    center hole and meshing the 24t's teeth with a second 24t gear
    looks like it should work quite nicely.  When I turn this contraption
    by hand, the mechanism works OK - but when I motorize it, it jams
    every few seconds.

I used a large gear to mount the smaller one off-axis instead of the 'arm'
you describe - but functionally, it's the same.  The trouble is that
during the period when the two gears are not meshed, the second wheel moves
a teeny-tiny bit and on the next revolution, there is a good chance that
they won't re-mesh.  The two sets of teeth impact each other peak-to-peak
instead of peak-to-valley - which jams the mechanism and stalls the motor.

It's a shame - because it *looks* like it should work - and it does if
you rotate the input shaft slowly by hand.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net