 Robotics / 17570
Re: RIS parts questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:46:34 GMT

Hi Johnathan,

Aside from some very minor changes in the parts and the RIS software, the
only difference between kits is the RCX 1.0 has an AC jack, which comes in
handy for stationary robots like robotic arms or sorting machines.  I've
heard that the RCX 2.0 doesn't have the jack, although I've not yet seen one.

The parts differences are not important, since you'll find you want more
regardless of which kits you get.  Lego Shop at Home, and Pitsco Dacta have
what you need.  You can also get some great deals on Mars Explorer,
RoboSports, and Extreme Creatures, and even the Dark Side Developer Kit from
retailers like Toys R Us and Target, or check online at Amazon.com.  Any of
these for $30 or less is a nice deal.  For advanced users, the software that
comes with these kits is only a novelty, but the spare parts are a nice
addition to anyones collection.

The Mindstorms site has the latest RCX firmware, so no matter which kit you
get, you can get the latest firmware.  Many people find the RIS software
that comes with the kit on the limiting side, and move on to NQC or LeJOS or
something, all of which are readily available online.

Good Luck!

Rich