 Robotics / 17373
17372  |  17374
Subject:
VC limitations - Is there an alternative?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:36:58 GMT

Hopefully this topic hasn't been beat to death...

Over the past few months I've been able to borrow quite a few web cams and only
the Logitech USB ones work (which makes sense considering the Lego cam is
Logitech), except for a parallel port QuickCam VC (back when Logitech was
Connectix) even though there are newer drivers for it.

The VC software gives an error in the tour saying a USB camera cannot be
detected.  The computer I was playing with didn't have a USB port so I couldn't
bypass the tours and try the normal VC software with the parallel cam... I'll
try that later this week.

I wanted to see if the original camera drivers would work for each cam I tried,
so I never installed the Lego Cam drivers (even for the Lego Cam itself, as it
works with the other Logitech drivers).  No matter what model Logitech cam I
hooked up, it always worked with VC (except the parallel port version).

What I'm wondering is how the camera is accessed.  If the VC software is using
standard access methods under Windows but checking to see if the driver for the
device is "Logitech", then perhaps one could re-brand drivers for other devices
to bluff the system into thinking they are Logitech USB cams, such as an X10
cam or other video input device.

If anyone has looked into any of this, or if there's a replacement for VC that
overcomes this video source limitation, please post, especially if someone has
found a way to deal with stereo-vison on one computer.

Thanks,
Rob

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more