 Robotics / 17259
17258  |  17260
Subject:
controlling different devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:48:39 GMT

hello

i am trying to control external non-standard devices with my rcx unit as
part of a science fair project. the primary control device will be a
modified rotation sensor which is attatched to an old turntable. the
main
idea is to give an example of easier control devices for persons with
handicaps. i purchased a answering machine from a local thrift shop
which i
will take my first stab at controlling. i soldered on connections to
three
digital switches (memo, play/stop, announcement) my intention is to
attatch
these three switches to the three output ports on the rcx board...hook
up
the turntable controller, add 1 switch and control it. my problem is how
should i go about using the outputs as switches. given the nature of the
switches on the qnswering machine (pres-release switches)  i will have
close the circuit and then open it for basically 1 second. i have tried
have the outputs set in float and then brake and then float...but have
had
no resluts. it was my understanding that float was an open circuit to
the
motor and brake was a closed circuit.

can anyone offer any suggestions? i am planning on using brixcc/rcx
command
center to write the progam.

if you require any further information, please contact me.

thank you
kingsley gifford
canada