 Robotics / 16835
16834  |  16836
Subject:
Newbie questions about RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:31:28 GMT

My son has been saving for an RIS for about 7 months and we decided to
put him over the top for Xmas. After I got the thing home, I noticed
that the min req said Pentium II/233 Mhz or better. I have only a 1997/8
vintage Dell with 200 MHz Pentium MMX. I was able to download the
firmware and confirm it. I have not tried any programs yet. But I
noticed that the response time was irritatingly slow. Is this the only
drawback? [I also held off on installing DirectX 8.1. Is this neccessary
for the WYSIWYG prograaming tool?]

While browsing the archives (on lugnet.com), I noticed a message about
IR burnout. Is this a problem only if powering with an AC? In particular
can I leave the IR plugged into the USB port all the time? [the only USB
ports I have are in the back. The IR tower is the only USB device I
have.] Also, I kept getting error messages about the RCX not responding
(though it seemd download as indicated by the numbers display) till I
turned off the lights. Is this normal? [the light was 6 ft away, but in
the same line as RCX -> IR, with RCX 6in from the IR.]

Also, I have only a 4GB hdd. I have room to spare now, it is only a
matter of time before I start looking for things to remove.  My son has
been working through "C for Dummies" (he went through about 70% of the
"Great Logo Adventure"). so he should be ready to handle using less
visual means of programming in a few months. So I would like to know
what is the minimal setup I need to retain from the RIS 2.0 CD. Also any
suggestions on the visual programming tools mentioned on the Lego page
on crynwr.com? [I don't have visual basic, and don't plan on getting it.
But I have gcc, perl and can try to set things up if neccessary.]

that is all for now.

Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas
Nath