 Robotics / 16718
Re: Electro-magnets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:20:35 GMT

IMHO is the easiest way to get strong electro-magnets to disassemble 6V relays.
They include good electro-magnets.
I did so and was able to hold a 500g hammer with two of them running at 6V.

I used relays from FINDER (Series 55 if i remember right), a swiss company
that builds that stuff.
For UK have a look at
http://www.findernet.com/en/countries/uk/index.php

Rainer

In lugnet.robotics, Styxrocks@aol.com writes:
What is your plan for the electromagnets?  If you can not find them, they are
simple to make yourself out of fine insulated (varnished) copper wire.  You
will have to do a little bit of experimenting to get the streingth just
right.  Wrap the wire into a small coil of many turns.  The more turns you
have, the more streingth you will have.  A certain amount of turns is
required to prevent drawing excess current and burning out the wire and/or
power supply.

Jim

I'm sorry if this is a bit off the subject-
Does anyone know where you can get small electro-magnets in the UK?
Nobody seems to sell them.
I am thinking of making a robot with electromagnets.

BEN
--