 Robotics / 16712
RE: compensating battery level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:08:50 GMT

The torque of a motor is directly proportional to the current (T = Kt * I).
Of course, the current is a function of the voltage, since V = I * R.

Current is a function of voltage when discussing a purely resistive circuit,
however motors are a different subject entirely.

The current limiting factor is the counter electromotive force (CEMF) that
builds up when the motor turns.  At start there will be a large surge in
current (5-10 times normal running) which lasts until the electromagnetic
field builds up in the coils and the motor begins to turn.

When a large load is placed on a motor it slows down, reducing the amount of
CEMF, causing current to increase and therefore torque, hopefully bringing
speed back to near the same level as before (depending on the physical
construction of the motor).

Jim