 Robotics / 16683
Re: rcx power circuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 23:17:53 GMT

"Tilman Sporkert (webMethods)" wrote:

Thanks for all the information. Just a few comments...

- rcx 1.0 (with power plug) • ...
  * the external power source is rectified with a bridge
    rectifier (4 diodes), filtered with 6 caps of 330uF each
    and then stabilized with a voltage regulator ic. • ...
  even attach an ac source (which i tested) and even
  more than 12v (which i didn't test, don't sue me!).

I have not verified this myself, but from discussions a long time ago I
remember that the power for the motors is not run through the voltage
regulator. Which means that you need to be careful with the input voltage. A
9.6V AC power adapter, like the one shipped with the train sets, is a good
choice.

  * the positive pole of the battery input is protected with
    a diode against batteries put in the wrong way.

No, it's part of the "mixing" circuit of the two power supplies. The
external power goes through a diode, too. It's part of the rectifier. So
whichever power supply has the higher voltage will supply power to the RCX.
The other power supply is protected from this higher voltage by the diode -
it blocks the reverse current. That's very important for the batteries -
otherwise connecting an external power supply with a sufficiently high
voltage would act as an unregulated charger for the batteries. Things would
get really hot and ugly really quick.

A few things to remember (somewhat simplified):
- A diode usually drops voltage by 0.7 Volts. So if the batteries deliver
9V, you will only have 8.3V after the diode. A rectifier drops voltage by
1.4V, because the current has to go through 2 diodes.
- If you run a AC through a rectifier and smooth it with a capacitor, the
voltage will increase by a factor of 1.41 (square root of 2), minus the 1.4V
drop of the rectifier of course. Or in other words, connecting a 12V DC
power supply becomes 10.6V DC for the RCX (even though it's DC, it still is
run through the rectifier), but connecting a 12V AC power supply would
supply it with 15.5V DC - too much.

The 12 volt AC Train transformers work just fine. I've used one for
weeks at a time. Also, I believe Dacta sells the Train Transformer as
the RCX power pack.

Dean
--
Dean Husby