 Robotics / 16653
Re: IT or ginger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 04:09:30 GMT

I think there was something similar to this using legOS to move a uincycle
like contraption and keep it balanced.  Do a search on lugnet, and see if
you can find it.  IIRC it was a pretty hard task to do.  Ooh, I think I
remember - that contest site that was up here a few months ago, with like
6-7 different competitions they held, they had something like this.
Unfortunately, I cannot remember the site. :)  That is where I heard about
the unicycle thing.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert McGlade" <rmc@evis.net>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 9:35 PM
Subject: IT or ginger

Don't know if you know about this, but it was unveiled yesterday. Final
release name is the Segway Human Transporter. Unfortunately it doesn't • live
up to the hype it attracted.

See:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA011203What_IT_is.ht
ml

Designed and built by Dean Kamen's company and over $100 million in
developement.It's pretty cool (should be), a self balancing scooter. Just
makes me think that a system comparable to this could be done in Lego.

An encased swinging light sensor to detect backwards or forwards roll, and
then applying forwards or reverse power to the wheels to keep it upright.
Not an easy thing to do and get good motion. but what a challenge!

warmest regards

rob

see my bi-hex videos at
http://www.arachnid.clara.net