 Robotics / 1665
Re: 3-wheel drive site wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 06:57:21 GMT

Sorry, I can't remember the URL, though I had a look there myself when
it was mentioned before.

What I find fascinating is how we all seem to agree on what are
interesting problems, yet come up with solutions so radically different
in detail.

On my shelf I have my own effort at one of these mechanisms, which has
been there since long before I knew that anyone else had been playing at
it. It relies on radial arrays of the "coathanger plate" part in effect
pinned together by the stub axles of a planetary gear mechanism. I
didn't jump right in when it came up before because although my one is
fairly "cool" and "sophisticated" and uses four or more of the nice
idler gears (clutched together pairwise on the crown ends) to allow
control of the gearing between the major and minor rotary mechanisms,
it's also an extremely marginal piece of lego engineering and falls
apart all the time.

Typical, of course, I'm always way too far out at the edge of the
envelope (which is probably why I do software professionally, not
hardware - in software, brittleness is almost a virtue ;->).

But as I say, it's truly neat how people independently spot a common
interesting problem and then all manage to do their own thing with
it....

stephen