 Robotics / 16637
16636  |  16638
Subject:
Programming RIS 2.0 in C++
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 20:48:53 GMT

I have the RIS 2.0 which comes with RCX 2.0 and the USB tower.  I've been
searching for several days now and I still can't figure out how to write my
own programs in Visual C++ to communicate with the RCX through the USB
tower.  What is the easiest way for me to do this?  Is there some basic
sample code that I could look at?  I also have some specific questions:

1) I've seen lots of documentation about spirit.ocx, but the RIS 2.0
software doesn't seem to include it.  It's not a registered control on my
machine, and I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive.  Does spirit.ocx
work with the USB tower?  If so, how do I get it?

2) I also downloaded the RCX 2.0 Beta SDK from Lego's web site.  Besides the
fact that I can't get it to work at all with the USB tower, I'm not sure if
it's just a scripting language for programs that run on the RCX or if it
allows me to write my own software to communicate through the USB tower.
Can someone explain exactly what this SDK is for?  Is there some setting I
need to change to get it to work with the USB tower?

Thanks in advance for any help!

     -Adam