 Robotics / 1657
Re: Lego-animated building instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:06:20 GMT

Oh god! First Lego Mindstorm, then Cybermaster, now Robolab and The
Intelligent House as well!
    What I & Sam (son) saw in the shop was Lego-animated construction
instructions for building this hopping monster thing that jiggered about on
the counter, and you had an extendable poking weapon with which you had to
hit sensors. I wasn't very impressed with this as a game, but I was with the
software, which had excellent graphics for taking you round the `workshop'
and other areas, as well as the building instructions. I think (though not
sure) that this was Cybermaster.
       Andy Bower (15th Dec) reckoned that this was actually better than the
on-the-surface superior Mindstorm because the Mindstorm software was
basically good for not much. He also criticised the line-of-sight infra-red
connection, but isn't that used just for downloading the program? It doesn't
have to be in communication the whole time, does it?

    I might as well come clean and say that I've already bought him
Mindstorm for Christmas, but am wondering if I did the right thing? Should I
exchange it, or get Cybermaster as well? Now, or some time in the future?
    Also, I thought that I would have some fun with Mindstorm as well, but
if it is as useless as A. Bower says....

PS: A merry Christmas to all of you.

Graham Rounce
London UK